Thyme Ring Doughnuts with Orange glaze
Recipe Courtesy @Robertsonsherbs&spices
- 500g bread flour
- 2 tsp Roberton’s Dried Thyme
- 55g castor sugar
- 10g (1 sachet) instant yeast
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 100g melted butter
- 3 egg yolks
Orange and thyme glaze
- 2 cups (500ml) icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tbsp orange juice
- To make the dough, combine all the dough ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Knead for 8-10 minutes or until smooth.
- Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with cake flour and roll the dough out to 1cm thick.
- Use a 8cm cookie cutter to cut out rounds then use a shot glass to cut a hole out the middle.
- Place the rings on a greased baking sheet, leaving enough space for the dough to rise.
- Cover loosely with clingwrap and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Heat the oil in a pot or deep-fryer until 180C (a cube of bread dropped into the oil should brown within 5 seconds), working in batches, fry the risen doughnuts on one side (about 3-4 minutes) until golden, then turn them over and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oil and drain on paper towel. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, combine the icing sugar, zest and enough orange juice to form a thick glaze.
- Dip the tops of the doughnuts into the glaze and allow to set.