Almond and Honey Brittle
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 4 cups sliced blanched almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 204C. Grease a baking sheet with the almond oil.
- Place the almonds on a separate baking sheet and toast them in the oven until light golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a medium, very heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, honey, and water and cook over medium-high heat until the sugar liquefies, then turns light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- It should register 310 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer; this is referred to as the “hard-crack” stage.
- Do not stir, but brush the sugar crystals off the inside of the pan with a wet pastry brush as necessary.
- Once the sugar begins to brown (to the color of a football), remove the pan from the heat (watch very carefully, as the sugar can burn quickly).
- Once the caramel is off the heat, add the almonds to the pot and stir quickly to incorporate.
- Turn the caramel mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading it quickly to an even thickness.
- Let the brittle cool completely, then break it into pieces or cut into shapes with a serrated knife.