Cranberry and Choc Chip Hot Cross Buns
Recipe Courtesy - @Stork
- 500g flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 12.5ml mixed spice
- Good pinch cinnamon and nutmeg
- 60g Stork Bake
- 25ml sugar
- 10g sachet instant yeast
- 25ml mixed peel
- ½ cup (125ml) cranberries
- ½ cup (125ml) chocolate chips
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup (250ml) milk, warm
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing tops of buns
Piping Dough Ingredients:
- 50g Stork Bake
- 50g flour
- 1ml baking powder
- 35ml milk
- Sift flour, salt and spices. Rub in Stork Bake until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then add sugar, yeast, mixed peel, cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Add egg and milk to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Knead for 5 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place to rise to double its size. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly.
- Divide into equal portions and form each into a bun. Place on a greased tray. Cover and allow to rise for 20 – 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Brush with a little beaten egg then pipe a cross on the top.
- Bake at 220ºC for 10 – 15 minutes or until nicely browned.
Piping Dough Method:
- Rub Stork Bake into flour and baking powder.
- Add milk to form a paste. Mix well until smooth.
- Place into a plastic sandwich bag. Push to one corner to form a piping bag. Snip the end with a pair of scissors.
Temperature 220 oCBaking time: 10 - 15 min Serves: 9