Chocolate Ganache Layer Cake
Recipe Courtesy @Hulettssugar
For the Sponge Cake
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 12 g Huletts Castor Sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g Huletts Icing Sugar
- 3 extra large eggs
- 35g cake flour, sifted
- 30 g unsalted butter, melted
For the Buttercream
- 3 extra large egg yolks
- 70 g (1/3 cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
- 225 g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
For the Chocolate Ganache
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 ml dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 60 ml (4 T) strong black coffee or liqueur of your choice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Grease and line a 33 x 23 cm swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Add the castor sugar, one teaspoon at a time, whisking between each addition to make a glossy meringue. Cover with cling film and set aside.
- Tip the ground almonds and icing sugar into the bowl of a free-standing food mixer and add the whole eggs. Whisk together for 3-5 minutes, or until doubled in volume.
- Fold in the flour, and then gently fold in the meringue in three separate batches.
- Pour the melted butter down the side of the bowl and fold in until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface with a palette knife.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until pale, golden brown and springy to touch.
- Place a sheet of baking paper over a cooling rack and turn the cake out onto it. Peel off the baking paper from the base of the cake and leave to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, place the egg yolks in the bowl of a food mixer with the whisk attached.
- In a pan over a gentle heat, dissolve the sugar in three tablespoons of water and boil steadily until the syrup reaches 110ºC on a sugar thermometer.
- With the food mixer running, slowly pour the syrup over the egg yolks. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and mousse-like.
- Add the butter, a little at a time, whisking continuously and finally add the vanilla essence.
- For the chocolate ganache, pour the cream into a small pan and heat until just bubbling. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until all the chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth and glossy. Pour into a bowl and allow to set.
- To assemble, slice the cooled sponge horizontally so you have two 33 x 23 cm sponges. Cut each of the sponges in half vertically, so that you have four sponges.
- Place one of the sponges on a cake board and brush with one-quarter coffee or liqueur, if used. Spread over one-quarter of the buttercream and then a quarter of the chocolate ganache. Top with another sponge and repeat the layers. End with a layer of chocolate ganache.