Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick or 60g) soft butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- Grease a 9- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan.
- Beat sugar, 1/4 cup butter or margarine, and egg until creamy. Stir in milk.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt thoroughly.
- Stir flour mixture into creamy mixture.
- Stir until dry ingredients are barely moistened.
- Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Cut in 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until crumbly and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Spread half the batter in the cake pan.
- Top with half of the brown sugar filling.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Top with remaining brown sugar filling.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cake tests done. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
- Serve warm or cool. Serves 9 at 275 calories a serving.