Recipe Courtesy - @Africanbites
- ½ cup warm water
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ -1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour plus more
- 2-3 Tablespoons grated coconut or coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon crushed cardamom spice
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg or cinnamon
- ½ cup evaporated milk /coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- Powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar to sprinkle
- Caramel sauce
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking salt, sugar, cardamom spice and nutmeg. Whisk together
- Gently add all the liquid ingredients, eggs, butter and milk. Combine until mixture comes together and dough is smooth. If it is too sticky add a little bit of flour. If too hard add a little bit of water. Dough should not be too sticky, when touched, err on the side of less flour than more flour.
- Roll out dough in to 1 inch thick. Cut in bite size pieces or triangles like in the picture.
- In a large,sauce pan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 3 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high (too little will result in flatter mandazi and place on medium heat until oil is 350 degrees.
- Fry until golden brown about 3-5 minutes depending on size. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper napkin. Serve warm